Save Money with a Winter Pool Cover
You may be disappointed that swimming season is over, but all good things must come to an end. Fortunately, spring will arrive before you know it! Between now and then, it’s essential to protect your pool with a strong, durable cover.
Energy-efficient winter pool covers seal out debris, reduce evaporation, and trap heat inside by creating a barrier over the water. If accidental drowning is also a concern, a custom, form-fitting safety cover providers the peace of mind you need, no matter the size and shape of your pool.
Saving Money with a Pool Cover
Winterizing your pool isn’t just a good idea—it’s a vital part of pool ownership. If you hesitate to spend time and money installing a pool cover this winter, consider the many factors that make it a cost-effective investment.
- Fewer clogging concerns: Covering your pool reduces the amount of debris that falls into the water. A lower risk of clogged plumbing is one benefit of having fewer leaves, twigs, pine needles, and other organic debris in your pool.
- Better chemical balance: Without a pool cover, debris may accumulate in the water and throw off the chemical balance. Installing a cover limits the maintenance you must perform during winter by keeping the chemistry more consistent.
- Less algae growth: As soon as the weather warms in the spring, algae can set in—but only if enough debris entered the water over the winter to feed a bloom. A pool cover prevents this, saving you money on the pool cleaning and chemicals required to eradicate algae.
- No staining: Algae growth can stain your pool, so by preventing these microorganisms with a pool cover, you also avoid the time and expense associated with cleaning stains from the walls.
- Decreased evaporation: Evaporation lowers the water level and affects the pool’s chemical balance, increasing your water and chemical costs as a result. Installing a pool cover reduces evaporation to help you avoid these expenses.
- Lower pool heating costs: Installing a cover when the pool is not in use is the single most effective means of reducing pool heating costs. By trapping heat inside, savings of 50 to 70 percent are possible.
Shopping for a Pool Cover
At Millennium Pool Service, we design and install custom winter pool covers and safety pool covers. Both options can provide cost-effective benefits, with added peace of mind against accidents when you opt for a safety cover.
Be aware that there are two types of safety covers available—mesh and solid. To ensure a custom fit that accounts for surrounding garden walls, spa installations, raised bond beams, and other obstructions, it’s best to purchase a safety pool cover from a professional pool service provider.
Millennium Pool Service would be happy to help you compare your pool cover options so you can make the best choice for your family and budget. For a free estimate, please contact us at 703.939.5062 in Virginia or 301.591.3750 in Maryland.