Maintaining Your Pool
If you own a swimming pool, you know that proper maintenance is extremely important. What you may not realize, though, is that maintenance goes beyond just cleaning the pool and balancing the chemicals. It is also crucial to have leak detection services performed from time to time, so that if there is a hidden water leak, your pool repair company can fix it promptly and safely. Why is so important to detect leaks promptly? We have several good reasons.
Reasons to Schedule Leak Detection Services for Your Pool
- Catching a leak early can prevent hidden damage. A water leak can cause substantial damage to your pool deck and the surrounding area. Concrete, natural stone, and granite can all be damaged if a water leak is not repaired in a timely manner.
- Leaks can waste a great deal of water. Even a tiny pool leaks can cause a major jump in your water bills. Why would water bills skyrocket if the leak is just small? A water leak of any size can waste hundreds of gallons of water weekly. Not only does this cost you money, but it wastes water, and important natural resource.
- In a worst–case scenario, an undetected pool leak can cause a sinkhole to form. A pool leak that goes undetected for a long time can damage the foundation beneath your property, and this can lead to a collapse, resulting in a dangerous sinkhole. When you have a sinkhole in your yard, it will mean costly repairs, but preventative leak detection can preserve your pool and the surrounding areas.
Signs of Trouble
A major leak may be obvious, because you’ll find yourself having to add water to the pool frequently, but small leaks can easily go undetected. Catching these small leaks before they waste water and damage your property is a matter of remaining diligent. Beyond water loss, there are other signs that you may have a leak. It is wise to have preventative leak detection services, but it is also smart to look for and recognize these other indications of a leak that can be easy to spot if you’re aware of them.
- A water leak can cause changes in the pool deck. A water leak can destabilize the ground under your pool deck, causing the surface to fluctuate. When this happens, you are likely to notice cracks, sinking, bulging, warping, and other changes indicative of a shift in the pool deck.
- You might notice visible cracks in the pool. The surface of your pool can crack for several different reasons, but a water leak is one of them. Water leaking under the pool can cause the ground to shift, just as it does under the deck, and when this happens, you are likely to see cracks.
- Standing water around the pool or pool equipment can indicate a leak. Sometimes, a water leak allows water to go to a location you don’t see right away. This could cause puddling right where the leak is located, or in a low spot somewhere nearby.
- If you hear gurgling, it could be a leak. Leaks let water out, and they also let air in, which causes a gurgling sound. If you hear this kind of sound, call for leak detection.
- Issues with your pool water can mean contamination from a leak. If water is seeping out of your pool, it can also allow contaminants from the soil into your pool. Sometimes, the soil itself comes in through the crack, or wherever the water is escaping. This kind of contamination can discolor your pool water or cause the formation of algae. You might notice that you are suddenly using more pool chemicals than you usually do to balance your pool water, it could be an indication of a leak.
Other Causes of Water Loss
Of course, a leak isn’t the only reason your pool water might be getting low. If it’s been hotter than usual, there may be excessive evaporation. Then, too, if you’ve been giving the pool a lot of use, with many people getting in and out or children splashing around, that can cause water to be displaced from the pool, as well. Having leak detection services can rule out a problem so that you can use your pool without worry.
Contact the Professionals for Leak Detection and Repair
When you’re ready to schedule leak detection services for your pool, contact Millennium Pool Services. With over 30 combined years of experience in the pool industry, we provide a comprehensive range of pool services for both residential and commercial customers in Virginia, Washington DC, and Maryland. When you hire Millennium Pool Service, you get a well-qualified, industry-trained staff of pool contractors and technicians, services that are tailored to your needs, and a commitment to 100% customer satisfaction. Contact us for more information.