Gunite and concrete are both materials used to construct swimming pools, but they have some differences as to their composition and the methods used with each.
- Gunite is a specific type of concrete, a blend of cement, sand, and water, and it’s sprayed through a hose. The dry mix of cement and sand is mixed with water as it’s being applied.
- Typically, the gunite is sprayed onto a framework of steel reinforcing bars that make up the structure of the pool. The gunite is pneumatically applied, and it adheres tightly to the bars shaping the pool’s design.
- Gunite is known for its exceptional strength and durability. The application process used makes for a dense and solid structure, capable of withstanding the pressure of water and soil. It’s less likely to crack than concrete and can adapt well to various shapes and designs.
- Because it’s fired from a nozzle, gunite offers more flexibility in terms of design and shape. Since it’s sprayed on, it can conform to any shape or contour desired, thus allowing the designer to be more creative.
- Concrete is a mixture of cement, sand, aggregates such as crushed stone or gravel, and water. It is typically delivered to the job site already mixed and is poured or formed into various shapes.
- In pool construction, concrete is usually poured into pre-built forms or molds that shape the design of the pool.
- Concrete is strong and durable but may have slightly lower strength than gunite. The pouring process used with concrete is more susceptible to cracks or weaknesses.
- While concrete can also be shaped or molded to a certain extent, the use of pre-built forms can limit the design options as compared to gunite.
The bottom line is that gunite and concrete are essentially the same things, but the methods used in constructing a gunite pool or a concrete pool are different. Either process can create a strong and durable swimming pool that, with proper maintenance, can last for many years.
Millennium Pools & Spas is a family owned and operated business serving the Virginia, Maryland, and Washington D.C. areas with top quality pool service. With over 30 years of experience with pools of all shapes and sizes, we have the knowledge, expertise, and equipment to handle any problems you may have with your pool. Our team of highly trained pool professionals provides a wide range of services, including maintenance, repair, renovations, and pool resurfacing. Our focus is on providing outstanding customer service to ensure your complete satisfaction. We have two locations to serve you, in Springfield, VA, and Ijamsville, MD. If you’d like more information about our company, contact us for a consultation, visit our website, or give us a call at either of our locations: Maryland at 301-591-3750 Virginia/DC at 703-939-5062.